My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://blog.mattityahu.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Math Tutoring

I usually volunteer on Thursdays, but since Passover break starts then, I switched to today when I don't have classes. I went over to the same school and helped the kids out with some geometry. So now I know how to say lots of very important everyday words in Hebrew, like equilateral triangles or obtuse angles or adjacent angles. Woo Hoo!

It was pretty upsetting though. I was helping this one kid who, on top of having obvious ADD, just wasn't getting it. If I explained something to him, he was able to do the problem, but he would forget right after we moved onto something new. It's hard to think how someone who can't remember that two halves of one whole are always equal will be able to pass his bagrut (Israeli regents). He really needs a private tutor to go over everything with him, but of course this is Dimona and there's no way the school has it in its budget and I'm sure his parents can't afford it. It's just kind of depressing.

But on the bright side, the weather is coming back around and I was able to break out my shorts. I'm sure in a few weeks, I'll be wishing away the heat when it's 105 degrees in the shade, but right now it's pretty nice.

I'm going to be spending the Seder with my friend Yifat and her family up north near Haifa. They're Yemeni and I've never been to a Yemeni Seder before, but I think it'll be a lot of fun. I guess this means I'll have to eat kitniyot (rice) this year. Oh well, when in Israel...

And for Flori, here are some pictures of the pup.





1 comment: