My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://blog.mattityahu.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Family in Israel, Volunteering and Internet

First I just want to do a little recap of last week.

Flori and Josh got here on the Thursday before last and got to meet a bunch of my friends over at Munchilla. It was fun and I got to introduce Josh as Flori's fiancee for the first time... because they got engaged while they were in Tel Aviv! Congratulations!
Mom and Dad got here the next day and drove out to Dimona where everyone got to meet Shoko. I took them on a tour of Dimona and then we headed back to Be'er Sheva for Shabbat.

The rest of the week was pretty standard since Flori and Josh left on Sunday for Egypt and Mom and Dad were in Jerusalem. So on Sunday, I took the train from Dimona to Tel Aviv early in the morning. We spent the day going through the art fair and the shuk. I got a great mezzuzah for my caravan as a Hanukkah present (thanks Mom and Dad!). On Shabbat we walked along the tayelet and found that part of the beach seems to be designated for dogs. I'll have to bring Shoko next time. After Shabbat, we got dinner before rushing to get me to the train station and them to the airport. It was really great seeing everyone and I can't wait to see them again.


Last Monday, I began my volunteering with kids in Dimona. I'm teaching English to 9th graders. My two students are Daniel and Omer. Nice kids who act exactly like you would expect 9th graders to act. They each made fun of each other and then tried to be the first to finish their work to show they were better. That meant they went too fast and made some mistakes, but all-in-all, I think it went pretty well.

The same cannot be said for my activities today. Instead of tutoring, this week my group was doing group building activities with kids from a local middle school. Well, that is what we were supposed to do. The kids didn't want to do anything and decided that it was funny that my Hebrew wasn't perfect. This was of course in between making fun of the quiet and fat kids. Great kids. Oy. Good thing I didn't get the NYC Teaching Fellowship, by the end of the 2 hours, I wanted to smack them. Although, I found towards the end that if I joked along and made fun of myself they weren't really sure what to do. So next time I think I'll just start with that.

After spending a few hours on the phone last week with Internet companies, the installation guy finally came today. Of course it didn't work right afterwords, but Boaz helped me call up again and now I have real Internet! So please skype me or gchat video with me!

Also, Sam Thompson found the video I was interviewed for a few weeks ago. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afpWAdXDNpw I come in around 1:40

And here is a picture of Shoko relaxing in his new favorite spot, right on my top of my laundry bag:

No comments:

Post a Comment