My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://blog.mattityahu.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Student Day יום הסטודנט

Last night was Yom HaStudent. I bought my ticket months ago but like the idiot I am, forgot to bring it to school yesterday. So after class I went back to Dimona to get it and when I got there I was thinking about skipping it since I was a little tired and (again, like an idiot) had scheduled a meeting with David Newman for Wednesday (today) morning. But Andrea called me and convinced me to come. Thanks Andrea.

Yom HaStudent is a big festival that all universities have but our was really huge. There were bands and shops and booths and over 20,000 people there. Ehud Banai was playing when I got there and he was followed by HaDah Nachash and Infected Mushroom. Pretty awesome. If only I remembered to bring my camera.

Some highlights:
There was a pool set up but it was completely empty except for the girls in bikinis who were paid to dance around it. So Andrea decided to jump in. Granted it wasn't very deep so she just walked around and made sure not to get her skirt wet, but afterwards a few other people stripped down and jumped in and started dancing. Way to start the party Andrea.
When HaDag Nachash played Shirat HaSticker (a song of all the different Israeli bumper sticker slogans) I was singing along and when it came to "death to Arabs" I kept singing when most other people stopped. This guy came up to me (who I'm pretty sure was high because he kept creepily rubbing my back) and said "why did you say that?" I was like "It's a song, I sang the whole thing. I don't agree with that slogan obviously." Actually, the naive person that I am, I didn't even realize that was the real line. I was convinced that it wasn't ערבים but מוות לערכים meaning Death to Values. I guess I should be more careful.
Before I left to head back to Be'er Sheva, I got an email from Lauren Friedman saying she was visiting a friend at BGU and was coming to Yom Hastudent. I finally found her and we got to catch up a little bit, which was pretty great.

We finally left a little after 3 am and Loren let me crash at his place. After about 4 hours of sleep I woke up for my meeting. After meeting with him I went over to talk to Alma too. On my way, the air raid siren went off as part of the massive Home Front Drill that was going on. "Red Alert! Red Alert!" blared out of the PA system ( http://tinyurl.com/2weevvc ). What a country.

No comments:

Post a Comment