My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://blog.mattityahu.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Ar'ara BaNegev

Today, my arabic class went on a field trip to a nearby bedouin village called Ar'ara in the Negev. Most of the class went from Be'er Sheva, but since it's right by Dimona, Na'ama, Eyal, his friend Asaf and I caught a bus (Eyal and Asaf aren't from here but they stayed over the night before) and went right there.

First we went to a local high school that looked nicer and better funded than the ones here in Dimona. They introduced themselves and talked to us for a little while in Arabic and I caught most of it. We then met with some students and went outside to play soccer. I decided it was probably better for everyone if I joined the audience instead of actually playing. I think I made the right decision; Israelis (Jews and Arabs) take soccer very seriously.

Then we went to meet with a local Sheikh who talked to us about something. I didn't catch anything he said. But when he was done, two boys, Nabil and Mustafa (maybe 12 and 14 years old) took us to one of their houses to show us around. When we walked in, Mustafa's mother was praying and we had to walk around her. A little awkward. They brought us tea and had Eyal read from the Qur'an. When his mother was finished, she came in to say hello and introduced us to the youngest son and daughter (out of the 8 children). Little Muhammad stuck his head in and then ran away, but his sister came and shook all of our hands. Adorable.

We then went back to where we met the Sheikh and they had set up food for us. Of course as a huge plate of delicious looking chicken and rice is brought out I realize there is no chance it's Kosher. So I made do with hummus and salad.

When I got back to Dimona I went right over to the high school for tutoring. Today we were doing math. But they were going over things that I had forgotten how to do. A little embarrassing, especially since I don't know how to say "angle" or "slope" and other related words in Hebrew that might make it easier explain once I caught on. Anyway, once I got a refresher, things went fine and we actually finished a little early.

No comments:

Post a Comment