My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://blog.mattityahu.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Ari and Archives

Ari's Birthright group was in the Negev today and they had a rest stop in Dimona. Well, not really in Dimona, but at the rest stop on the highway right in front of Dimona. That's the closest most people get to the city. Anyway, I took a cab over and got to hang out with him and his group for a while. It was great to see him. He caught me up on the goings on back in New York and we were able to trade some stories. We'll be able to talk more this Shabbat when he comes to my village. Apparently, Ari's co-leader is from Fair Lawn and lived in the Ayalim Dimona's urban section that is in the city. Small world.

Last night, my documents from the IDF archive finally arrived, so today I was able to do some serious work. It was funny because Kobi - one of the guys in charge of the village - came to my caravan with the package and was like "Matt, you got something from the Ministry of Defense. What did you do?!" I had read over most of the documents while I was at the archives but now I'm really able to go through and translate them and sift out the less important stuff. Now I can focus in more on the specific villages that were effected by the operation and see what really happened, or at least what the official IDF documents said happened.

I just translated an aerial recon. message of several villages along the Tel-Aviv Jerusalem road. It was basic stuff (no movement in this village, armored cars in this one...) but it's still pretty exciting. I'm assuming that will tapper off the longer I work at this. But I keep on coming across little bits of information and being like "that's so cool!" Go Nerds!

**Update: I have come to a line that I am clearly not translating properly. How do I know that you ask? Well, roadblocks aren't made of fruit, nor are they domesticated. At least I don't think they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment