My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://blog.mattityahu.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Highlights of the Week

This week was the penultimate week of classes for me. We're way beyond crunch time now. I had my last two Oil Politics classes this week and I'm really glad I took it. For my final paper for that class I am writing a critical review of the film "Syriana" examining how the oil industry is portrayed in popular culture and how it matches up to what we learned in class. Should be interesting.

One day, on the bus back to Dimona, I saw a pro-IDF rally in front of the hospital in Be'er Sheva. The protestors were all elderly Russians (they had one sign in Hebrew and 3 in Russia). I just thought it was an interesting sight.

On Wednesday, Sam came to Be'er Sheva for Ari II's graduation so I met up with them after class.

Graduations in Israel are very different from those in the States. For one, they are a year after you finish instead of at the end of the same year, so very few people bother showing up. Also, only the professors wore robes for the whole ceremony. For everyone else, they had 4 caps and gowns on the side for the grads to put on for pictures. Proving that it's much more important to have the picture than the actual experience. I'm not sure if that's the message they were trying to send but it's how it seemed to me. Since I probably won't be here for my graduation next year, I decided to get the all important picture. Feel free to print it out Mom.


Now I'm just trying to get work done on my papers, while finishing everything for the conference. I feel so swamped. Hopefully I'll be able to get everything done in time. Woooo! Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment